Alert: Montgomery County Government offices will be closed on Friday, April 18, in observance of Good Friday. Public Safety personnel will report as scheduled.
There are no active watches, warnings or advisories for zone TNC125.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Does your office prepare documents for customers?
- The only document that
our office will prepare is a release. All other documents would need to
be prepared before they are brought in to be recorded.
- Does your office furnish me with the title to my home after I have paid off the mortgage?
- The document that shows
you own your property is called a deed. Your deed was recorded in our
office when you originally purchased the property. We do not keep the
original deed in our possession until you pay off the mortgage. The
original document was given or mailed back to whoever delivered it to us
when it was recorded. You may obtain a copy of the deed from our office
at any time.
- Will your office record a copy of a document if I don't have an original?
- The only type of
copy that can be recorded in our office is a Certified Copy of a
document that has been recorded in another government office. Otherwise,
we must have original, signed, notarized documents in order to record
them in our office.
- Where are Notary Seals placed on documents?
- The signature on
all documents must be notarized. If the document requires an "oath of
consideration", then the oath must also be notarized.
- Is the name of the person who prepared the document required for recording purposes?
- Can you tell me if there are any liens/mortgages/encumbrances on a piece of property?
- This is one service that
is not provided by our office. To determine the requested information,
you must perform a title search, which is usually done by an attorney or
title company. Our indexes are on computer, and they are open to the
public if you would like to search the records.
- Who owns a certain property?
- In accordance with the
laws & statutes of the State of Tennessee , all indexes for recorded
documents in the Register's Office are name based, and if you think it
has sold recently, we will check our grantors indexes to see if it has
changed hands. To search by address you may contact the Montgomery County Assessor of Property at (931) 648-5709.
- Can you tell me the recording information on a document such as a warranty deed, deed of trust, or other such instrument?
- We can tell you when a document was recorded and the book and page that we use to identify the document.
- Will you check to see if a deed of trust has been released?
- We will try to
determine whether or not a deed of trust (mortgage) has been released if
you can tell us the book and page, borrower's name, amount, and when it
was originally recorded in our office.
- What was the selling price for a property?
- If the property was
sold by virtue of a warranty deed, we can, in most cases, look at that
document and tell you the consideration amount, which is the same thing
as the sales price. Sometimes property is conveyed with a quit claim
deed, and those documents do not normally show a consideration amount
for the transfer.
- Will you fax a copy of a deed or other recorded document to me?
- If you or your company has
previously set up an escrow account with our office, we will fax copies
at a charge of $2.00 per page. If you do not have an escrow account you
have to mail in your request to the office.
- Can I go access the information in your office from the internet?
- We do provide access to the indexes and images in our office for a fee. You may call our office or check the web site at www.ustitlesearch.com for more information.
- For recording purposes, what documents require the statement "Maximum Principal Indebtness For Tennessee Recording Tax Purposes Is $________"?
- This statement is required on documents securing a debt.
- What are the hours of operation?
- Our office is open from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday.
- For recording purposes, what documents require the Oath of Consideration Statement?
- This statement is required on any deeds transferring real estate.
- What methods of payment does the Register's Office accept?
- The Register's office will accept cash, cashier's check, money order or business check for recording and copy fees.
- Can the Register's office provide a survey showing the boundary lines of my property?
- No. The Register's office records plats of subdivisions showing all lots in a development.
- Can the Register of Deeds speak to my civic group or church organization?
- Yes. Please call the Register of Deeds at 648-5713.
- Can I find bankruptcies, divorces and other court documents in the Register's office?
divorces and other court documents are recorded and indexed as decrees.
However, not all court documents are filed with the Register's office.
This will vary according to requirements within a court decree or an
individual's personal choice.