Applications for employment with the Montgomery County E-911 Center are accepted only when current openings are posted. To check for openings, please visit the Montgomery County Human Resources website. From there you will be able to submit an application online and view information pertaining to current benefits, retirement, and insurance plans available to employees.
Montgomery County 911 Telecommunicator
This job requires the ability to provide radio communication for emergency services in Montgomery County and answer emergency and non-emergency calls from citizens, dispatch the appropriate services/assistance, providing citizens with information and assistance and maintaining a variety of records and files through computer database entries.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Must be able to work any shift. This is a 24 hour agency and employees are required to come in on short notice for shift coverage or during busy periods.
- Must be able to multitask. It is essential that employees be able to do more than one task at a time and take appropriate action when presented with a stressful life/death situation and remain calm under all circumstances.
- Dispatch and receive routine emergency 911 telephone and radio calls for all emergency responders. Must be able to test and operate a TDD/TTY phone.
- Communicate effectively with other employees, administrative personnel, other emergency agencies, as well as the general public.
- Provide the general public with directions, referrals and information. Answer citizen complaints, concerns and any other information request regarding the community or situation.
- Dispatch personnel and equipment in emergencies using established protocol and Next Generation 911.
- Ability to operate a variety of communications equipment to include electronic telephone console and computer aided dispatch, computerized mapping and have logical thinking skills.
- Perform warrant checks, query protection order and condition of release files related to calls for service.
- Prepare and maintain accurate records and logs on all radio transmissions, telephone calls, and all other communications equipment.
- Operate computer inquiry terminal to obtain information on persons and vehicles through related database system.
- Ability to type 40 wpm.
- Mapping skills.
- Must obtain certification as an APCO Public Safety Telecommunicator
- Must obtain and maintain certification as an APCO Emergency Medical Dispatcher
- Must obtain and maintain NCIC certification thru the Tennessee Bureau of Investigations TIES Unit within six months of employment
- Employees must retain a working phone number and transportation at all times
- Will be required to attend mandatory departmental training and meetings
- Any other duties as assigned by the Director, Asst. Director or Supervisor
Knowledge and Experience
- High school education or equivalent
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of office machinery including a computer, printer, copy and fax machines, telephone, telecommunications and radio equipment etc. Must be able to perform these duties with accurate motor skills and coordination.
- Perform all duties relating to emergency communications
- Logical thinking skills and ability to access information
- High proficiency with computers and must be able to spell and type with accuracy and speed
- Certification as required by the State of Tennessee Emergency Communication Board as set out under T.C.A. Law requirements
Ability and Dexterity
- Shift work to include weekends, holidays and during inclement weather. Bad weather is not an excuse for being absent from work.
- Able to communicate information clearly and relay information to others in a concise clear and effective manner using good communication and organizational skills